A hearty, healthy, easy meal that is satisfying enough for those nights you need a comfort food fix, but still won’t break the bank.
Somedays, you just need a big warm bowl of cheesy goodness, you know? The problem is that when you are also on a path to lose some weight… big cheesy bowls of anything don’t usually bring you closer to that goal. [Enter: this recipe]
Macros you ask?
I love creating recipes that taste indulgent but still have reasonably balanced macros. For one big healthy serving, this recipe has 387 calories, 35C/31P/14F. For me, that’s a reasonable dinner. You can sub ingredients based on your personal preferences, but here is my easy weeknight version.
After a long day?!
Never fear! This recipe is a cinch to throw together. Once thing I think about when putting a recipe together is…will I feel like making it after a long day?! And the answer for this one is…an astounding YES. You could easily use a store bought enchilada sauce…there are a lot of good ones out there. But if you plan ahead, why not whip up this super simple, REALLY tasty homemade version?! The recipe can be found HERE.Print
Cheesy Cornbread Chicken Enchilada Skillet
A warm, satisfying skillet filled with chicken enchiladas and topped with Mexican style cornbread. It is quick and easy, as well as healthy which makes it perfect for a busy weeknight.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
1 Tbsp avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 tsp salt
1 lb chicken breasts
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce (store bought, or my recipe found here)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup corn meal
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup low-fat shredded Mexican style cheese (divided into 2 half-cup portions)
1 cup low-fat kefir or buttermilk
2 Tbsp melted butter, slightly cooled
1– 4 oz can of green chiles (do not drain)
1/2 cup frozen or drained canned corn
Pickled jalapeño peppers
Preheat oven to 400°.
1. In a 10 inch cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet), sauté the onion, bell pepper and zucchini in 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables become tender.
2.Nestle the chicken breasts into the vegetables. Pour the chicken stock and enchilada sauce over the chicken. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, uncovered, or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. While the chicken is cooking, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, corn meal, sugar, salt, baking powder and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Set aside.
4. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the kefir or buttermilk and the egg. Then stir in the melted butter, green chiles, and corn. Set aside.
5. When the chicken is cooked through, turn off the heat, and using 2 forks, shred the chicken. When fully shredded, stir to combine all the sauce, veggies and chicken.
6. Stir the milk and egg mixture into the cornmeal/flour mixture. Stir well, until all ingredients are incorporated.
7. Spoon all the cornbread batter onto the enchilada mixture. Carefully, spread the batter over as much of the chicken as possible, but if it doesn’t cover everything that’s ok! It will puff and spread as it bakes!
8. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cheese over the cornbread, and top with jalapeños, if desired.
9. Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool 5-10 minutes before serving…it will be HOT!
11. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Keywords: weeknight, easy, healthy, comfort